Friday, September 20, 2013

Through the eyes of a child...

Hi! My name is John and I am 10 years old. I was able to go to Ethiopia with my dad and older brother, Isaac. Five of my brothers and sisters are from there and I was excited to see their birth country for the first time.
 
We went to Korah. It is a trash dump in the capital city, Addis Ababa. The people that live there pick through the trash for their food. They also get things from the trash to sell. It was sad to me and very different from America.
 
 
We went during the rainy season and it rained a lot. Most of the streets are dirt turned mud and the puddles were green. I don’t know why they were green, but I am guessing it is because of the trash and pollution.
 
 
 The houses were small one room homes. Almost all of them only had one bed and a couch. Most had mud floors and torn up roofs that the rain would leak through. The nice houses out were made of cow poop. The other houses were made out of only blankets. Because it was the rainy season it was cold (Korah is about 7,000 ft above sea level). I don’t know how they stayed warm at night.
 
 
The people that lived there were happy. They smiled a lot. When we visited them, they gave us food (popcorn and bananas) and Buna (coffee). The kids loved my blond hair and touched it all day long.  I made many friends that I will never forget.
 

 They taught me that I should be more thankful than I am.  They taught me that I don’t need as much as I have. They taught me that loving others can make a huge difference.
 




 I miss it there and I can’t wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment